When my daughter Kaia inquired about who would be interviewing me on “social justice for coaches” during the last day of my Our Future is NOW interview series, I suggested…
“If you get me out of math class,” she responded, “I’m in.”
While I had no idea how my interview with Kaia on social justice for coaches would go, for in acting they always say, “Never work with animals or children because of they are unpredictable,” I couldn’t be any prouder of my rising leader (and interviewer).
Although she is only 6, one of my daughter’s deepest desires has been to be a part of the business her dad and I run together.
During the pandemic, she started helping us with our monthly profit and loss statements and with filing bills and receipts. And recently, we also offered her the opportunity to be a part of our program curriculum development.
(She’s been in her own online improv, theater, and girls’ empowerment camps and afterschool programs, so she’s got fantastic ideas for skill-building activities I can lead with my clients.
Kaia also cares deeply about social justice issues, and it was great to hear her reflect back ways she’s speaking up already – and what conversations and exercises her father and I have introduced have stuck.
During my conversation with my daughter Kaia on social justice for coaches, we talk about:
- What I mean when I talk about social justice – what it is, what it isn’t, and the key ways that oppression operates in society
- Why we don’t have to give respect when people haven’t earned it, but why we do need to treat people (even those with who we vehemently disagree) with dignity if we are serious about rooting out oppression
- My top tips for coaches, consultants, speakers, business and thought leaders to talk about social justice issues – and how to do it in a way that aligns with our businesses and doesn’t come across as preachy
- How to handle criticism that inevitably comes up when you speak up for the ideas, issues, and people you care about
- And Kaia shares subjects she’s passionate about and how she handles sensation that comes up when she is getting ready to speak up
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Join my FREE virtual workshop for coaches, consultants, experts, and business leaders who want to get comfortable with visibility, create epic speaking content, and get booked to speak online (and one day soon, in-person) – DiscoverYourSecretSauce.com
- If you are a parent, check out Studio LOL to learn more about virtual improv classes for children
- Here is the link to Kaia’s favorite podcast, Keep Away Corona