Dr. Rebecca Eldredge is on a mission to ensure socially conscious leaders don’t succumb to compassion fatigue.
I’ve had the privilege of working with Dr. Eldredge for the last two years, and she is unparalleled in her ability to integrate stories, statistics, and practical suggestions for how to create workplaces that create more wellbeing for their people.
For the past 20 years, Dr. Eldredge has used her commitment to mental health, cultural competence, and social justice to support individuals and organizations to cultivate compassion to protect their wellbeing as they bring compassion and justice to their organizations and communities. She has been honored to work with corporations, university departments, and refugee resettlement agencies as well as hundreds of diverse clients.
Dr. Eldredge completed both her M.A. and her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Southern Illinois University-Carbondale and has been an adjunct in the University of Houston’s and Our Lady of the Lake’s graduate psychology programs. She is also a Step into Your Moxie® Certified Facilitator.
In this episode, Dr. Eldredge and I discuss compassion fatigue, burnout, and the importance of developing cultural awareness, knowledge, and skills.
More specifically, we address—
- What compassion fatigue is and how to recognize and navigate through it
- Why employee wellbeing is connected to excellence at work—and professions at highest risk for compassion fatigue, burnout and attrition
- Why it might be time to shift from cultural competence to cultural humility
- Sobering statistics about the connection between experiencing injustice and developing a medical condition
- Plus, a surprising recommendation from Mother Theresa
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Learn more about Dr. Rebecca Eldredge and her work at the intersections of preventing compassion fatigue and amplifying the voices of marginalized leaders, caregivers, and change makers
- Connect with Dr. Eldredge on Instagram
- Download Dr. Eldredge’s 5 Ways to Speak Up for Social Justice
- Join my Stand Out as a Thought Leader virtual workshop