We grow our audiences and we expand our platforms by doing our work in as visible of a way as we can – WITHOUT doing the work because we measure our self-worth by our visibility. Stop obsessing over your list size. A modest audience is fine. We should focus instead on making a significant impact on our communities and followers rather than worrying about having a huge audience that we only make a moderate impact on. Here are some of the most important things to remember when it comes to stepping into thought leadership:
- Consistently create and share content to be known.
- Clarify your points of view and be unapologetic about them.
- Make your why greater than your fear.
I strive to take my clients from whining to winning. And, in the process, I always ruffle some feathers. Thought leaders will do this. But, the alternative, is to be a redundant voice in a sea of sameness. What do you want to speak up on – and for?
In this episode, I show you how to be the thought leader that you have been waiting for – and how to ooze moxieliciousness.
3 Thought Leader Questions to Chew On:
- Why do you know you’ve been called to be a thought leader?
- If you had a ginormous following, what would you say on stages? Write in articles or blog posts? (Start doing THAT now!)
- What’s the legacy you want to leave behind through your work, your leadership, and your relationships?
Once you chew on these thought leader questions, think about creating your personal Board of Advisors. Your Board of Advisors (or All-Star Team), I use these terms interchangeably, should be comprised of Connectors, Decision Makers, and Champions. You do not need to spend all your time pursuing peer-to-peer networking. It is also critical to reach out to folks in your industry who are few seasons ahead of where you are who can be of most help to you – hence the Board of Advisors.
In This Episode:
- Don’t wait to achieve success before your prioritize your thought leadership [5:00]
- What you need to know about thought leadership – dos and don’ts [8:10]
- 3 thought leader questions to chew on [11:00]
- How to create a personal Board of Advisors [13:00]
- “It’s a responsibility to get more visible.”
- “Use your moxie to share your voice and spread your message.”
- “Regularly reach out to your follows via emails, blogs, or videos.”
- “Legacy is not something you leave behind. It’s something you live every day.”
- Curious how we can jam together to amplify your speaking, create game-changing speaking content, and advance your thought leadership? Check out my coaching options.
- Follow me on Instagram @alexiavernon.
- Want to go from a hot mess (or best-kept secret) as a speaker and thought leader to a go-to, trusted expert? Grab my 9 Mistakes Coaches, Consultants, and Experts Make as Speakers (and How to Avoid Them) here.
- Let’s continue the conversation in my Facebook Group – the Spotlight Speakers Salon.