In episode 104, I’m joined by branding coach and strategist to midlife (PrimeTime) women, Juju Hook. After launching a successful online branding program and blog at 48 (and developing a following of more than 50,000 fans!), Juju Hook took to the stage with her powerful message that NOW is the time for rebranding midlife as PrimeTime for women.
As you’ll hear in the episode, Juju invites women to call B.S. on the media messaging that constantly bombards them—and plays inside their heads—that life over a “certain age” is something to be feared. Capitalizing on her 25+ years in corporate branding, Juju is uniquely qualified to reveal to women the abject lies written and propagated by industries that profit from women’s aging insecurities.
When it comes to rebranding midlife, Juju wants us to think about income, influence, and impact. Her own story started when she was feeling finished and uninspired in her career. The question was, how could she apply mastery in a new way? Rebranding midlife is all about understanding your personal brand, your gifts and talents, and figuring out how you can put them to use in PrimeTime.
Crystal clear messaging is essential when rebranding midlife. You need to be able to identify your target audience and figure out what specific set of problems they have, how to solve them, and how to show that you can get results. Focus on what makes you authentically unique, not what you think people want to hear. Remember, this work is all about connection.
At times, our discomfort with visibility can hinder our ability to connect. We must overcome all the messaging telling us we don’t have time to start again, that as women in PrimeTime, we should be put out to pasture. The self-doubt can’t be “cured” or completely go away, but we can learn not to sit and suffer through these feelings.
Juju’s own journey wasn’t easy. She started with no followers, and at first, her only comments on her blog came from her mom. Juju had to overcome societal ideas about women and power – she needed to unlearn lessons about women and financial stability. Juju realized that she could live a purpose-driven life when she pivoted in her mastery and began to rebrand.
For women ready to get started with rebranding midlife, Juju suggests building suitable and reliable ways to spread your influence into your daily routine. Don’t become obsessed with conversions and tactics. Instead, start with what is authentically you and focus on what is “on-brand” for your messaging to find where you really shine.
During our time together, Juju and I jam on:
- Why now is the time for rebranding midlife as PrimeTime for women.
- The role advertising, the media, and patriarchy play in making midlife women feel irrelevant and invisible.
- How a powerful business brand helps women amplify their income, influence, and impact.
- How to move through the fear that visibility often triggers for women (especially coaches, consultants, and experts) during PrimeTime.
- How to give voice to the ideas and issues that matter most to you – and when it’s okay to “let it ride” and not share your opinion.
- The foundational steps for reinvigorating a brand that honors your mastery and allows you to fall (back) in love with your business.
In This Episode:
- Prime Time & Juju’s evolution [ 7:45 ]
- 3 “I’s” and the impact of a powerful business brand [ 13:45 ]
- Visibility in PrimeTime [ 17:00 ]
- Self-doubt and compassion [ 22:00 ]
- Dealing with disagreement [27:00]
- Juju’s financial breakthrough [35:30]
- Where to start as a PrimeTime woman [41:30]
- “The anti-aging industry is a $350 billion dollar industry and almost none of that is spent on helping us live longer.”
- “We all can be the light in two ways; we can be the flame and give off the light, or we can be the mirror and reflect the light.”
- “What do you need to talk about in order to hold the position that you’re holding? What issues in the world impact your brand? What things could and should you let go?”
- “Since I’ve come into my power I’m softer from a heart space than I’ve ever been.”
- “The way to amplify your income, influence, and impact it to incorporate sustainability and reliability into daily work.”
- “When we can really begin to look at the reliable and sustainable system that’s based on our own essence, our own strengths and authentic ways to present and live our purpose, then we can really begin to amplify.”
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Want Juju’s guide for discovering the anatomy of your brand as a PrimeTime female leader? It’s free, and you can snag it here.
- Grab Juju’s book, Hot Flashes, Carpools, and Dirty Martinis: The Quintessential Guide for Turning Midlife into PrimeTime here.
- Stop by Juju’s Facebook Group, PrimeTime Posse.
- Curious how we can jam together to amplify your speaking, create game-changing speaking content, and advance your thought leadership? Check out my coaching programs.
- Follow me on Instagram @alexiavernon.
- Let’s continue the conversation in my Facebook Group – the Spotlight Speakers Salon.
- Subscribe to Moxielicious via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify so you never miss an episode!